Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Waiting patiently for a phone call...

I have now been back to Denver for a month, Richard and I moved to a new apartment (a lot more space), we got a dog - Bailey, and I am still looking for a job. 
I have been applying to some place, but am having a hard time finding job openings in my field. About 2 weeks ago now, I called one of the places I applied to (Accenture) to see what was going on... because once you send your application you don't actually have a clue is someone
 even read it. And I wasn't considered for the job because of my grades (most plausible reason for an entry level job)... yea my grades... I guess a 4.0 in Grad school just wasn't enough for them... made me realize that maybe they weren't right for me. 
So now I just look for jobs as a full time job and babysit our new puppy. In the meanwhile I try not to get too bored so I cook a lot. I have made tons of soups, lunches for Rich, deserts.. and my favorite: macarons!
My first try was almost good, but the oven was too hot (cracked the macaron) and I had mixed the mixture too much (didn't develop a nice foot)...
So 2 days ago I decided to try again. My eggs whites were in the fridge and old, and I
 had received my almond powder (because almond powder happened to be impossible to get in Colorado) from OhNuts.com. 
And here is the result! I am really proud, the foot formed, the top is smooth (even if it doesn't look like it in the pictures).. and it tasted awesome. 
Macarons filled with chocolate ganache topped with cocoa powder

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips on macarons! I've been looking for the almond powder! I just tried macarons for the first time in Nancy, France, and fell in love. Do you if anyone makes them in Colorado? I live in Boulder

m&m said...

I also found almond powder at Vitamin Cottage yesterday. For people making macarons in CO, I haven't found any. I went to a few restaurants that offer them or try to on their desert menu, but even though I am still struggling on my recipe, I find mines better.
The main problem on making them in CO is definitely the altitude, I got better at it, but it is still missing something.