Thursday, August 14, 2008

Cake making Part 1

Making your wedding cake you have to be organized. 
I baked the 12" on tuesday, the 8 and 6" on wednesday. I cut them and made the ganache on thursday, then made the buttercream and frosted them on friday. I stacked them friday afternoon and brought it over to the reception site!
Of course there were a couple glitches: my 12" cake wasn't 3" thick so I could only cut it in 2 layers.... so I had to make the decision to only do 1 filling: the ganache. Then I didn't cut the 12" cake right... it was crooked (my first time with such a big cake). Then my ganache wasn't hard enough so I managed as best as I could. My 12" top layer broke in 7 pieces when I tried to put it on top of the ganache. The next day I tried to frost my 12" cake to cover the broken pieces. A disaster. I had to convince myself that a 8" and 6" would be enough. 

No comments: