Monday, July 14, 2008

Cake disaster

I had promised to bring a cake to our dance studio on monday, and I was also planning on bringing one to the office as tomorrow is my last day. I planned on doing a 6" and 8" on friday, and frost them on sunday....
  • I took friday off, and started cooking. I opened my brand new Wilton 6" springform, removed the wrapping.. and as it didn't seem connected too well, I put the form in water... LEAKING all over!
  • We went shopping on saturday morning, didn't find another 6" 3" springform so I gave up and decided to do 2 big cakes.. the 8 and 9". We went home and I started baking.
  • The recipe was going to make 17 cups of batter... no need to mention that it is WAY too much for my kitchenaid mixer, but I did it anyway.... how stupid am I.
  • I put it all in the oven... and it soon start to smell burnt. I opened the oven, my cakes were overflowing in the oven.. GREAT. I put something under it and left it in the oven.
  • After half the cooking time, it really smelled burnt. Open the oven.. it was still overflowing, I had cake in the whole oven as well as on the filament. I got really worried, open the windows, open the oven and turned it off... I heard a beeping noise in the apartment.. God, the alarm of the buiding is going to go off and the firefighters are gonna come.. what a disaster.

The alarm didn't ring, but it was really close... My oven was a mess, I wasted tons of products, the apartment still smells like burnt, and I had still promised cake!! I ended up redoing one on sunday... finished it around midnight... gosh what a week end.. and all of that because of a springform and mistaking teaspoons for tablespoons of baking powder+soda.

No comments: