Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wedding Cake Flavors

So, for those who don't know, I am making my own wedding cake. But I had no idea which flovors, which recipes, and how to make wedding cakes. I am a good baker, but wedding cakes aren't something I had ever done before. So 5 months before the wedding I started practicing.
First I wanted something fruity because we are getting married in the summer.

My 1st try was:
Yellow cake
Grapfruit curd
Rum syrup
Mango buttercream
It was a pretty good cake, but my buttercream recipe wasn't great which made it hard to work with. Unfortunately the cake was all yellow, so it was hard to see the difference between the curd, the buttercream, and the cake.

Then I was looking for cakes on Martha Stewart and found the Mocha Cake. I fell in love! It seemed a little heavy for summer but after all we will eat the cake after coffee and we won't serve it, people if they want a slice can help themselves (with some help).
I made it, and it was AWESOME... to come soon pictures of my practice cake.

No comments: